If you identify with the term “Just About Managing”, or “JAM”, when it comes to your monthly finances, you might be interested in the following research, from a payday lender’s survey of some of its customers. It found that:
1 – JAMs are politically engaged:
- 69% voted in the last election (compared to 66% nationally) 
- 72% voted in the EU referendum (which is the same as nationally) 
- 76% intend to vote in the upcoming election.
2 – This election is mainly about the NHS:
- 33 per cent said the NHS was the most important issue to them. That’s the same percentage as the next two issues combined!
- The economy was the next most important at 20 per cent
- Immigration came third with 12 per cent
- The lowest result on the list was pensions, which received just 2 per cent of the votes.
3 – There’s a preference for Labour, but it could change:
- Labour’s in first place at 35 per cent, up 3 per cent from how JAMs said they voted in the last election
- Conservatives are second with 21 per cent, down 3 per cent from 2015
- UKIP have lost two thirds of their support, from 10 per cent in 2015 to 3 per cent in 2017
- ‘Undecideds’ and ‘Prefer not to say’ are both at 16 per cent.
Sign up to our weekly newsletter
Get better with money, in every way.
 Survey of 802 people who had taken out a loan with Lending Stream in the last six months. When shown the definition ‘just about managing but you worry about the cost of living and getting your kids into a good school‘ and asked them if they would describe themselves this way, 503 responded with ‘definitely yes’ or ‘probably yes’.